Cotton Blossoms

Cotton Blossoms

Cotton Blossoms

Cotton Blossoms

Cotton Blossoms

Cotton Blossoms

Thursday, July 16, 2009

The puppy stork has arrived!!!! Kayla's little boy was born July 14th just before midnight.





Kayla never seems to quit amazing me. Tuesday July 14th started out fine, she had her breakfast her temp was 99.7. She didn't want lunch but ate her dinner. Her temp in the evening was 99.4. When the temp dips below 99 you know puppies will be on the way within 24hrs, per the textbooks. We were watching TV and I was brushing keeping an eye on her as she was lying on the couch. All was going well, then it was getting to be bedtime, Kayla seemed to be panting a little heavier than normal, with a little bit of nesting. No shivering which is usually what my girls do when the time is getting nearer, they will begin to shiver slightly at first and then it intensifies as labor progresses. Well I decided to rest for an hour, as I knew it may be a long night. Well I was not in bed 5 minutes when I thought no, I am going to stay with her in her whelping pen. Her labor lasted 2 hours, she didn't have any difficulties, the little boy was born, ready to nurse. That is always a good sign when the puppy is hearty from the get go. I dried him off, checked him over and all looked good with him so I let him nurse. I did not have an xray done, and I was anticipating another puppy, but to my surprise Kayla only had the one little boy. However, one little healthy puppy is truly a blessing. With a singleton alot can go wrong, the mother may not go into labor, the puppy may be to big to pass, so we are quite thankful all went well and ended well. Oh the miracle of birth, and we look forward to watching this little miracle continue to thrive and grow. Kayla could not be more proud!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment